Sunday, February 27, 2011

Is Web 2.0 Turning Us All Into Robots or: How I Learned To Swallow The Pill And Let The Web Follow My Every Step

I was intrigued by a statement at the very beginning of the Gleave et al article that stated, “Social life has moved online. From discussion boards, to wikis, to social networking sites, people do things together through digital communication. Those interactions leave behind complex records of who did what, when, under what context, and with whom. In other words, the interaction order is now electrified and self-documenting (1).”

This “self-documenting” environment that we now find ourselves in has many interesting facets and I have been slowing evaluating them to find out if I am a fan or not. The amount of peripheral knowledge we now have about ourselves is massive. For example I could tell you the exact time and date of the last 8,613 songs I have listened to in my digital music collection. I could even list them all in order from most resent, which was about 10 minutes ago, to the oldest, which was on August 1st 2009 at 5:18 pm. 

As our daily lives are being merged with electronic media a digital residue is being left behind. We must ask ourselves what we are going to do with all of this peripheral information about ourselves.

Websites like Amazon and Netflix have already shown how this can be useful information. Have you ever watched a movie or bought a CD because your computer told you too? I sure have. Netflix will say, “You have seen these movies and based on the viewing habits of the entire Netflix community you will probably like these other movies.” Amazon has a similar practice where they will auto suggest items for you to view based on what you have looked at and what other people have bought.

Facebook has the potential of working in a similar way. This is especially true of the way it was originally developed with finite communities. Ellison, Steinfield and Lampe stated, “Our participants overwhelmingly used Facebook to keep in touch with old friends and to maintain or intensify relationships characterized by some form of offline connection such as dormitory proximity or a shared class (1162).” For instance, joining a group on Facebook adds information to your profile that potentially make it more easy to be found. This happened more often on MySpace for me personally. Once I listed my High School and graduation year onto my profile I began to get friend requests from people I had not heard from in years.

But you all know this already! I’m not presenting any unique perspective that we don’t already encounter on a daily basis.

This week I chose to take this digital residue self-documenting idea a step further. I joined two SNSs that are specifically designed to let others (your friends or the general public) know where you are or where you have been. The two SNSs I used were Foursquare and Yelp. These are both SNSs that I only know about based on other people’s experience but have never used them myself. Both of these sites use geo-tagging to let people either know who is currently at a location or who has been there before. Though out the week I checked myself into as many places as I could remember to see if either my social interaction could be improved by logging where I have been or to see if I could find out information about the places I have been that I previously did not know. I also wanted to see if the social capitol gained in using these SNSs led to any better or different social interactions.

Both of these SNSs can interface with Twitter and Facebook and help me quickly find friends who use these sites. Yelp was much better at this then Foursquare. At the end of my first day of using Yelp I already had accumulated five friends (all people I know in real life) while after using Foursquare for a week I still have yet to gain any friends.

Both of these sites use badges to communicate my activity with other users. What this means is that the person who checks in the most at a particular location will either become the Duke (Yelp) or the Mayor (Foursquare). Once you achieve this rank your picture will be seen by anyone who checks into the location. Personally, I did not find this aspect to be the best part of these SNSs. The most useful feature is that on both of the websites users can leave tips based on their experience. This is where I was able to connect with users the most, though in a very static non-personal way.

 


These are both tips left concerning Hamilton library. Through some of the info seems humorous to those of us that might be in the library 2 or 3 times a week it would be useful information for those who might be visiting for the first time.

I particularly enjoyed the following screen concerning Hamilton Library which I found on Yelp:



This aspect of these SNSs got me thinking about the statement in Allen, Colombo and Whitaker that said, “Individuals restrict interaction to those with similar identity, periodically mutating their identity and copying the behaviors (neighbors and strategy) of those receiving higher payoffs. The result is that an incentive structure emerges where free-riders become isolated (2).” As a new user I did not feel compelled to become the next Duke/Mayor even though the site was encouraging me to do so.

You can see in the image on the left that I am 6 days away from becoming a Mayor.

Also, I was not all that interested in connecting with people who I did not already have an off line connection with. These sites could have become more dynamically layered if these two aspects were important to me. As a newcomer to the site I did not feel like I was at a distance for those who had been using the site for a while. I did not feel hindered or restricted in any way when adding new information to the sites.

Most people are familiar with Yelp as a review resource for things around town but adding a geo-tagging aspect to the site made it a much more interactive experience. With this being said, the beauty of using these two sites together was the way they interacted with each other’s strengths. My experience and opinion is that I would be more likely to choose a restaurant to eat at based on information on Yelp. I could then use Foursquare to figure out what specifically on that restaurant’s menu I would want to eat.

These SNSs are perfect examples of Williams’ statement, “Socializing online can never compensate for lost socializing offline…the online world is a site for social activity, both original and extended from offline life (596).” Neither of these sites would exsit without people wanting to log their offline life in an online format. It seems increasingly evident to me that my online status is 100% dependent to my off line activity. Having a way to keep track of what I have done in the past through an online means seems to have increasing potential. Though the trust issue is the hurdle we must get past. Never did I feel comfortable to check in to my own home but I did check into a public park after dark. When information is made public there is always a chance that it could be used in an unwanted way. There are probably things I do that I would not necessarily want or need everyone knowing (for example when I checked into Costco).

Gleave et al states, “As more of the social world becomes essentially self-documenting, social roles will increasingly be observable as a function of both social positions, as with early block modeling efforts, and content analysis and ethnographic methods (9).” The social capitol on both of the SNSs I joined this week are more or less defined by individual users. The models proposed by Ellison, Steinfield and Lampe carry over as most of the interaction takes place off line. As the self-documenting aspects of these websites leave behind information about ourselves and our friends, patters can emerge and information can be gleaned. I would be curious if the next step for these websites is to create an option to auto suggest places for us to visit. A button on Foursquare or Yelp that will suggest a place for me to eat based on my past experiences and reviews plus my current location could create accurate suggestions.

Both of these SNSs could be improved by incorporating either more social capital by making it easier for  newcomers to gain badges or by diversifying the badges. Below are the first badges I earned on the respective sites.

 


I was particularly surprised when I checked into the library four times in four days and did not receive a badge for it. 

The sites would also be more enjoyable if more of my friends on Oahu were connected with me. I can see where all of my friends have checked in but when they are all in Seattle it does not do much good for me while I am here on Oahu.

I titled this blog is web 2.0 turning us all into robots because as we are self-documenting information more potential is created to find things we may enjoy. We can also quickly communicate with friends what we have been up to. Yet with all this being said I must ask if we really want our computers understanding our sub-conscience better then we ourselves do.

Final Project Idea:

I have been wanting to look into the potential of social tagging on library OPACs. Could user generated lists based on particular communities (i.e. a college course) help students find highly relevant resources? What would the role of librarians be in helping to maintaining the quality of these lists and social tags?

Update (3/1):

Another project idea: I would like to explore the impact/potential of the externalization of our personalities and the humanization of technology. What I would like to look at is the interaction between the real self and digital self and how the two communicate with each other and other's real/digital selves. This study would include looking into geo-note taking and real time location sharing and how our digital selves and communicate with each other and inform us of what friends in our proximity are doing as well as recalling past experiences that are location specific. I know this is a super abstract idea so I am looking forward to some dialogue. My inspiration: http://www.portlandmercury.com/portland/i-cyborg/Content?oid=3544597

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Digital residue" is such a great term.

    In response to,"There are probably things I do that I would not necessarily want or need everyone knowing (for example when I checked into Costco)", I tend to agree with you.

    Sometimes I enjoy checking into places that I go to, but I would think twice about checking into a location like a public park or somewhere I could be jumped or robbed at by people following my online status.

    Your updated idea for the final project sounds intriguing. Let me know if you need people to log into FourSquare, Yelp, or even Google Latitude in order to collect data.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post Philip. I also try to get these two apps on my iPod touch and experience with them. As a newbie in the community, not easy to get new friends, but it is exciting for me to look what going on with people in these two communities. How they share tips on Yelp and Badges on foursquare are "images" that unique for the community.

    Regarding to your final project. Do you mean you want to take a look at the different between "online identity" and "offline identity"? This topic is now become interesting study in the field of digital ethnography/anthropology, educational technology, and information and communication. As I know, these field developing a method called "online participatory observation" to collect data. This will be an interesting research project Philip. You may be also can consider about the potential of people who go online having "multiple online identities" and what are the motives they have these multiple identities. Looking forward to read your final paper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your project idea reminds me of the show Caprica. One of the main characters dies, but not before she discovers a way to create a virtual copy of herself - including her personality and memories - based on this digital residue that you mentioned. She lives on through her avatar, first in virtual worlds and then in a robot, after being copied to a chip and implanted there by her grieving father. That may be a little ambitious for your project :) but is related. Maybe it would be helpful to start by thinking about what parts of our lives are distinctly NON-digital and why. Is it because we don't have the technology yet, or because people purposely choose to separate their lives into these two spheres?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Philip. Thank you for explaining geo-tagging on Yelp & Foursquare to me - now I have a much clearer idea of how geotagging works. Your post also made me laugh (about not wanting to check into Costco) which I can appreciate when I am trying to get a bunch of work done and the clock is ticking.

    Both of your final project ideas sound intersting. The first one would probably be easier -- you'd find more info. -- and it's very relevant to libraries today. There is a lot of discussion out where as to whether all of this information is worth keeping track of, has relevance for libraries, or is it "meaningless?"
    Your second idea is intriguing but you may be largely on your own & you have have to dig into other disciplines beyond library sci & info. sci. such as psychology. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Gabriel Thanks for your willingness to help out. I found that my favorite parts of Foursquare are the parts that it was not originally intended for. Take away all the badges and game aspect (i.e. becoming mayor) and just leave the tips and the geosocial tagging. I might need you to check into a place I am at to see how you and I can communicate with each other. Geosocial texting may be the wave of the future when it comes to communication.

    @H-A I am becoming more aware of the fact that we are all now self-documenting. At first I hated it but now I really like it. I no longer need to remember the name of a restaurant or what I like to eat at that restaurant because my digital-self will do that for me! Also thanks for introducing me to some new terms. That will help in my research. I guess I am less interested in the contrast between the online and the offline self and more interested in how the human self communicates with the digital self and vice-versa.

    @Andrea since you posted your question I have been thinking a lot about why certain aspects of our lives are non-documenting or non-digital. Also another important aspect of this question is why certain digital aspects are not communicating with each other. (i.e. if I use 12 apps on my iPhone regularly and they are all documenting information and patters why are they not communicating with each other?) I imagine much of this is because of technological limitations as you said. In regards to your final question I am very interested in merging the "two spheres" as closely as possible but I imagine I am a minority. Are there aspects of your life that are non-digtal that you wish were? Or parts that are too digital?

    @Chris Your response to me checking into Costco is so true. Also the people I was with become annoyed every time we went some place new because I needed to take a minute to check in. Plus I have an older iPhone so anything "geo" related takes awhile to load. I was very patient with my technology this week! I agree with your comments about my final project. The question being do I go with something that would be interesting and easy to research or something that is intriguing and highly theoretical.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my first thoughts upon reading the bit about the posts people leave about Hamilton Library is that 25 years ago when I was an undergrad, much of this information would be passed on via word of mouth (or in some cases left anonymously, scribbled on desks or bathroom walls). In a way, this indelible digital trail is both a scary-accurate lifelog and permissible form of virtual graffiti. Much of the technology you're talking about is a receptacle for things we don't want to do, type or remember.

    Erenst has a similar idea about social reference management, but I found your real/digital self project even more intriguing. It will be difficult to distill that into a doable research question for the purposes of this course--surveying the state of a few relevant technologies could be a starting point, but I think the question you're really interested in is related to what is gained and lost when we project our locations and histories via technology to whatever people and algorithms might read them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. First off, I like your title. Dr. Strangelove has been one of my favorite movies ever since my 11th grade history teacher showed it in class. It's the only black and white movie I've ever liked, although I admit, I haven't seen many. But I digress.

    Your digital residue comment reminds me of the phrase, "Big brother is watching you" from the book 1984. So much of what we do now leaves digital residue that, for all intents and purposes, will remain cached somewhere. If someone has the means to do so, they can find out everything about you. Granted, sometimes it is nice to be able to pull up information that you had forgotten, like the first day you listened to music on your computer. Information like that isn't something someone would usually remember after a long time, and perhaps one day, you will want to know it, and it is right there in plain sight.

    I've heard of Foursquare before, but I've never heard of Yelp. Most of the people I know use it for the reason you don't really care for, to become mayor of the most places they can. I suppose if you have enough friends using the SNS, it becomes a status symbol in a friendly competition. I didn't know that there was more to Foursquare than just being mayor of places (as Facebook spam only references 'Mayor'). The fact that you can leave and view comments for places improves my opinion of the service, as it can be a very handy tool to learn things that an official place description would omit.

    For your second final project idea, it seems like an interesting concept. Are you looking to see how the advent of a technology affects a person's life compared to before the technology existed? Such as, life before cell phones? It's an idea that isn't directly drawn from your description, but something that I feel could be relevant for backstory. Although, on that note, you could see how a person lacking a particular technology that can be considered widespread is affected when compared to a person who has that technology.

    ReplyDelete